If you’re a Bulldog owner, you may have probably noticed that your Bulldog farts so much.
But what makes Bulldogs and these other dog breeds prone to gas and stench bombs?
Your Bulldog farts so much because of his breed’s anatomy
The sad truth is your Bulldogs fart so much because they have sensitive stomachs and they do not digest food really well.
The shape of their skull also affects their food intake. The Bulldog’s short nose and flat face make it more difficult for them to eat at a proper pace. Because of this, a lot of Bulldogs tend to eat too fast resulting to excess air in their intestines.
Diet can be a reason why your Bulldogs farts so much
Yep, there are foods that contribute to your Bulldog’s farting spree and here are some of them:
- Too much carbohydrates – If you’re feeding your dog kibble, you should know that many commercial dog foods are packed with carbohydrates that contain sugar and starch. These can end up fermenting in your dog’s intestine, thus, resulting to so much Bulldog farts.
- Leftover food or table scraps — Your Bulldog’s begging face may be hard to resist but giving your Bully your leftovers is a surefire way to cause gas — and it’s not going to smell nice
- Dairy products – Dogs can be lactose intolerant too. Most dairy products such as cheese and milk can cause flatulence in dogs.
- Highly-fermentable foods – Cauliflowers, beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and soy are highly fermentable. These foods can make your Bulldog fart so much.
- Grains – Grains such as wheat or corn can also contribute to the problem as dogs may not take these foods well. .
- Cheap poor-quality dog food — Cheap dog foods are cheap for a reason. Most cheap dog foods – if not all – are low in quality and are the top cause of dog flatulence. Unfortunately, there are high-quality dog foods that can make your Bulldogs fart so much too if if the ingredients don’t sit well with your Bulldog.
What can I do to stop Bulldog farts?
You cannot really stop Bulldogs from farting. It’s in the breed! But you can lessen it and even reduce the stench by feeding your Bulldog the following:
- High-quality dog food – You can either buy a well-balanced, natural dog food or cook it yourself.
- Dog foods that are rich in fiber – Fiber helps keep your dog’s digestive system in good condition. You may give your dog apples, brown rice, carrots, and green beans.
- Herbs – There are some herbs that actually help in dogs’ digestion like chamomile, cardamom, fennel, peppermint, fenugreek, and pimpinella.
- Anti-fart dog cookies – Yep, apparently anti-fart dog cookies are available in the market. These cookies are high in nutrients and fiber.
- Yogurt – Fortunately, most lactose-intolerant dogs can tolerate yogurt. This product helps reduce gas due to its live cultures that assist with digestion. You may mix 2 tablespoon of yogurt with your dog’s food.
- Probiotics – Probiotics such as Ercefora or Yakult can also help deal with dog gas.