VCO for Bulldogs? Have you ever considered giving your Bulldog virgin coconut oil?
Believe it or not, VCO has lots of health benefits for dogs. Coconut can help aid your Bulldog’s digestion, make their coats shinier and better, prevent infections, and more. VCO has antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties that can benefit dogs.
What are the benefits of VCO for Bulldogs?
VCO for Bulldogs is something dog owners must consider. VCO can help your Bulldogs in the following ways:
Let’s admit it. Bulldogs are prone to a lot of allergies and skin conditions and giving them VCO may help us manage these conditions. Here’s how VCO can help Bulldogs:
- Helps heal and clear up skin problems like flea allergies, canine dermatitis, eczema, and itchy skin,
- Helps reduce allergic reactions and improves skin health,
- Makes their coats sleek, glossy, and shiny,
- Helps lessen dog smell,
- Protects your Bulldog against external parasites such as fleas, mites, and ticks,
- Treats yeast and fungal infections and helps prevent them too,
- Soothes and heals dry skin and calluses,
- Helps disinfect wounds, bites, stings, hotspots, and promotes healing.
VCO for dogs can also improve their digestive system. When given orally, VCO can help your Bulldog in the following ways:
- Helps in improve digestion,
- Helps in better absorption of nutrients,
- Helps heal digestive problems like colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome,
- Reduces bad breath,
- Helps kill or expel intestinal parasites.
VCO also helps dogs’ bodies fight infections and diseases as it contains powerful antioxidants, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal agents that can help prevent diseases. It also helps our organs and body systems to function more effectively. VCO for dogs can be helpful in the following ways:
- Can reduce risk of cancer,
- Helps in promoting normal thyroid function,
- Regulates and balances insulin thus, helping prevent or control diabetes,
- Increases energy,
- Boosts immune system to fight diseases,
- Helps in weight reduction,
- Helps ease arthritis pain or discomfort,
- Helps in building strong bones.
Brain, Eyes, Nerves, Ears and Mouth
VCO for dogs also promotes good brain and nerve function. VCO for dogs help our buddies in the following ways:
- Aids in clearing up ear and eye infections,
- Improves dental and oral health.
How Does VCO Help Dogs?
VCO has more than 90% saturated fats. All these fats and oils are composed of triglycerides. Primarily, VCO consists of something we call Medium Chain Triglycerides. All triglycerides are made up of fatty acids, and coconut oil contains 64% Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs).
To further break it down, the MCFAs in coconut oil consist of the following:
- 48% lauric acid,
- 8% caprylic acid,
- 7% capric acid,
- and myristic and palmitic acids.
Aside from those, coconut oil also contains about 2% linoleic acid and about 6% oleic acid. The health benefits dogs and humans get from coconut oil are mostly from the MFCAs, particularly lauric acid, which is the one that contains antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. On the hand, capric and caprylic acid are known for their antifungal properties.
Aside from that, dog and human bodies can efficiently and easily metabolize MCFAs – making VCO an instant source of energy. In dogs, the MCFAs found in coconut oil can also help balance the thyroid. This helps obese dogs lose weight and make normally lazy dogs energetic.
How to Use VCO in Dogs
You can give your dog VCO as a daily supplement. It’s a good idea to give your Bulldog 1 tsp per 10 lbs of his body weight and mix it with his food. It is best to start with a quarter of a teaspoon to avoid loose stool. Increase the amount of VCO gradually until you reach the recommended dose.
You can also give your Bulldog VCO every other day and give him Omega-3 oil on the other days. This way, your Bulldog can receive benefits of both types of oils.
If used as topical, VCO can prevent external parasite infestation. It also helps wounds and hotspots heal.